Lately, it seems that all my suggested videos on YouTube are about people ecodying or ecoprinting on paper.
The constant stream of thumbnails featuring beautiful nature prints piqued my curiosity, so I decided to watch a couple of videos!
I love anything naturey, so naturally, I immediately fell in love with the amazingly gorgeous leaf and flower prints that these people were able to capture on paper!!
And since the process seemed easy enough for even me to try, I decided to give ecoprinting a go, myself!
I was not disappointed!
My husband even got excited about the idea and collected some flowers from the side of the road on his way home from work!
Meanwhile in my backyard, I embarked on my own little nature scavenger hunt and collected some leaves, wildflowers, and even pine needles!
I also found some maple seeds, you know, those things we used to call helicopters when we were kids, because that’s what they looked like when they fell off the trees!
There was a different method for ecoprinting in each video I watched, so when I was ready to dive in I decided to sort of glean something from both!
(*This post contains affiliate links.)
If you want to try your hand at ecoprinting on paper, you’ll need the following materials:
- A big pot. I used my old giant canning pot.
- Paper. 140 pound watercolor paper worked great for me!
- A roll of craft paper or some kind of paper large enough to wrap all your papers up into a little bundle.
- Some twine to tie up your paper bundle.
- A whole lot of flowers, leaves, grasses, and whatever other things you want to try to get prints from.
- White vinegar.
- Something to put on the bottom of the pot so your papers won’t touch it. I used a little cake pan.
- Something heavy to place on top of your papers hold them under the water. I used a big rock.
I followed the steps below to make my ecoprints.
- I gathered all my materials together and covered my work space with craft paper.
- I pulled out a few watercolor papers. I folded some in half and some I left alone.
- Then I spread out all my flowers and leaves and decided where I wanted to place them on the papers.
- I made a many layered sandwich of plants and papers.
- When I was satisfied with my little sandwich, I wrapped it up in the craft paper and tied it all up securely with string.
- I filled the big old canning pot about half way up with water and finally decided to add the whole little canister of alum and a half cup of white vinegar then I mixed it all up.
- After a little deliberation, my husband and I decided to put the little cake pan in the bottom of the giant canning pot, we placed our paper bundle on top and the weighed it down with a big rock!
- We brought the water to a little boil then turned down the heat and let it simmer for about 2 hours.
- We very cautiously removed our paper bundle from the water, let of cool off a while then opened it up and removed the plants from the paper!!
The results were amazing on my opinion!
I think my ecoprints came out beautifully, if I do say so myself!
My husband and I both think my ecoprinting experiment was a huge success!
I want to try it again with different plants and ingredients someday soon!
Note: Some people suggest putting baking soda, turmeric, red onion skin, or annatto seed into the water for different results!
Please enjoy the photos and video of the whole process below!